Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Apparent Idiot

I'm sitting at Starbucks yesterday doing some work there instead of at home. I am at this really long table with about 12 chairs around it and 2 other random Starbuckers are at the table with me. All of us have computers with us and our heads are down working on things.

This older woman sits down with a bright orange computer and is frantically huffing and puffing about a computer issue she is experiencing. She begins to look around the table and decides that she will first ask the guy across from me to help her figure out what her computer problem is. He immediately says that he is a student and does not know too much about fixing computers. She then looks directly at me - looks me up and down and does not say a word. She walks past me to the other end of the table and asks another guy if he could help her. A few things ran through my head about why she would not ask me for help:

1. Is it because I'm female? She is female and she could not figure it out so it must be above the brain power of all women in the world. Likely true - she looked like a super duper smarty pants.
2. Is it because I'm a blonde? I could not possibly know anything about computers. Maybe she thinks I am just sitting at Starbucks to write blogs and surf Facebook. (sidenote: writing this blog from Starbucks - don't judge me, my hair has not been true blonde since the 90's)
3. Is it because I look homeless? I do tend to go in public these days looking like I woke up in a ditch.
4. Is it because I have a "don't even think about making conversation with me" look tattooed on my face when I'm here? Maybe I accidentally snarled at her when she first sat down.

Whatever her reason, I was now interested. So, I did the proper thing and began eavesdropping on her conversation to see what could be so wrong with her computer. The entire time feeling slighted by a woman that I had no interest in talking to nor helping through her situation. I felt this need to shout out the answer before the man did just to prove to her that I could.

Problem was explained. Here was my chance.

I sat quietly.

I had no clue how to fix her problem.

Must have definitely been a job for a big strong man. I'm sure no other woman in the whole world could have fixed it since both she and I were at a loss and we are likely the most intelligent women alive.

Thank you ma'am for judging me as a dumb ass and saving both of us from an awkward interaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment